

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

2013-2014 #31

October 15th, 2013

3:00 pm

ATTENDANCE:

Petros Kusmu	<i>President</i>
Josh Le	<i>Vice President (Operations & Finance)</i>
William Lau	<i>Vice President (Student Life)</i>
Dustin Chelen	<i>Vice President (Academic)</i>
Adam Woods	<i>Vice President (External)</i>
Marc Dumouchel	<i>General Manager</i>

REGRETS:

ABSENT:

Zdena Fiala	<i>Administrative Assistant-Executive</i>
-------------	---

1. CALL TO ORDER:

The meeting was called to order by KUSUM at 3:14 pm.

2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA:

KUSMU/LAU MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the Agenda.

4/0/0 CARRIED

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:

KUSMU/CHELEN MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the Minutes.

4/0/0 CARRIED

4. ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Woods: Tell your friends to vote.

5. ACTION ITEMS:

6. STUDENTS' COUNCIL:

Kusmu: I will be telling Council about the LHSA variance.

7. OLD BUSINESS:

8. NEW BUSINESS:

9. DISCUSSION PERIOD:

9.1) MUSICAL CAMPUS

Lau: With the efforts made to set up bookable spaces for the music club to play in public we are looking for places in doors for the winter and I was thinking SUBstage might be a good space.

Dumouchel: I say talk to Jen.

Le: If it's from 12-1 I don't see why not.

Dumouchel: Tell Jen that the exec support this and you want to do a trial run.

9.2) FRW UPDATE AND SCENARIO

Chelen: Petros and I are just going to give a 5 minutes primer.

Kusmu: Right now we have 2 options on the table. We presented the student friendly option and the teacher friendly option. Late October is ideal but for teachers the remembrance day option is better. One prof said they would have to end exams later. They still want to go to the Deans Council and engineering so we have a month to make sure all our ducks are in a row.

Dumouchel: If you want this to work you need an ally in the deans.

Kusmu: Augustana is being left out of the proposal.

Chelen: We should have Frank or Bill co present it.

Woods: I think you should try to get it on the agenda even though I know how hard that is.

Dumouchel: I am concerned about the Deans Council meeting and if they try to drop it take it to the media.

9.3) MYER HOROWITZ VISIT

Chelen: Myer Horowitz has asked to get together with us. He is here from the 18th-21st and said we get first priority on when we want to get together with him. I just want to make sure that its ok to schedule that without Petros and Adam because they will be away.

Kusmu: I would like to be there. Can we do the 18th from 2-4 and I will just leave late.

Chelen: I think it would be a neat idea to go do coffee inside his theatre; it might benefit the P&V department. I will try and get November 18th from 2-4 and I will book the Horowitz theatre.

9.4) CAMPUS CUP PROMOTIONS

Lau: Last time we talked about campus cup we talked about the how we can split up promotions. Dustin I was wondering if you could pass off a registration package to the registrars' office. Current status is all right but we could use another 30 teams.

Dumouchel: I think this would be a good way to grow the relationship with the registrars' office.

9.6) COUNCILLOR EMAILS

Chelen: I would like to do a PA for Councillor photos to make posters. I think we should put all the of the faculty emails so that its easy for people to remember emails like arts@su.ualberta.ca but are the emails even working?

Dumouchle: I will look into it.

Lau: I think we should do about 5 posters.

9.7)NEWSLETTER FEEDBACK

Lau: The newsletter is missing all of the space.

Le: On the mac is looks bad.

Dumouchel: Go and talk to Craig and show him. I think it depends on the browser you use. It might also be a Gmail issue.

Lau: I think we should have a monthly time to go do exec photos maybe even during one of the exec lunches.

Le: I think its very exec heavy; it should include more of the SU.

Chelen: We are constantly changing our direction when drafting the newsletter. I think we get design to take care of everything.

Kusmu: I agree.

Dumouchel: I agree that you need to change the way the committee does this. It takes up too much of execs time then it gets to Simon late.

Justin William enters.

Williams: I know that from talking to Nigel when things get worked on and 7 people edit the document it becomes very difficult.

Dumouchel: What if they propose a topic list and bring it to exec?

Williams: I like the idea of having more on the website. I think you should also get a certain amount of items on the newsletter a month and you guys can switch them around.

Dumouchel: Why don't Justin, Simon and I talk and I will bring it back to exec.

Surma Enters.

9.5) FROM 3:30-3:30, WITH
HASIN(GSA), MONTY(GSA),
JUSTIN AND SURMA;
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
ISSUES TOWN HALL

Lau: Who plans to attend tomorrow? Part of the conversation that came up was how to moderate the town hall. We are going to have a table set up in front of SUBstage with 4 seats, 2 from the GSA and 2 from the SU. There will be two things I would bring up one is what I posted online and the main thing we would talk about is the IDF from last year.

Williams: When we address that don't just call it QA call it QA concerns. I think this is more of us listening than talking, which is good.

10. REPORTS:

- 10.1) President •
- 10.2) VP Academic •
- 10.3) VP External •
- 10.4) VP Operations &
Finance •
- 10.5) VP Student Life •
- 10.6) General Manager •

11. CLOSED SESSION:

12. ADJOURNMENT:

KUSMU/CHELEN MOVED TO ADJOURN AT 3:35 PM.

4/0/0 CARRIED