

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

2010-2011 #2

May 17, 2012

3:00 pm

ATTENDANCE:

Colten Yamagishi	<i>President</i>
Dustin Chelen	<i>Vice President (Academic)</i>
Petros Kusmu	<i>Vice President (External)</i>
Andy Cheema	<i>Vice President (Operations & Finance)</i>
Saadiq Sumar	<i>Vice President (Student Life)</i>
Marc Dumouchel	<i>General Manager</i>

REGRETS: n/a

ABSENT: n/a

1. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Yamagishi at 3:04 pm.

2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: **5/0/0 CARRIED**

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: KUSMU/CHEEMA MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the May 10, 2012 minutes as tabled.

5/0/0 CARRIED

4. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Yamagishi: The office will be closed on Monday. It is a holiday.

5. ACTION ITEMS: n/a

6. STUDENTS' COUNCIL: Sumar: Did you all get a chance to look at the changes I made to the standing orders? I wanted them on the agenda and not the late additions. There are three amendments I am making. They are for the dress code, Council retreat deadline, and the timeline for calling a meeting.

7. OLD BUSINESS: n/a

8. NEW BUSINESS: n/a

9. DISCUSSION PERIOD:

a) Communications Justin Williams and Simon Yackulic entered the room.

Sumar: Do we need anything done for the Health and Dental Plan?

Yamagishi: That is internal. We could put on the website that we are looking for Health and Dental Plan committee members.

Williams: Please email me the Committees that need members.

Dumouchel: We will have the Access Copyright stuff once it goes to GFC and Susan returns.

b) Infolink Signage

Sumar: Infolink sent in a request for us to approve. They received quotes for new signage for CAB, HUB and the main Infolink booth downstairs. I spoke to Andy about it and I think it is best for continuity sake. They are looking to get a new location in HUB, which would be in partnership with the University. In SUB we will wait until the renovations are complete. I will send out what Hallie sent me so you can all see the quotes.

Dumouchel: That would be great. We need to see the costs.

c) SU Health and Wellness

Sumar: Attached is what Emerson did up as a proposal for the Students' Union Health and Wellness Program.

Dumouchel: This comes from something Emerson wanted to do last year. He wanted to improve the wellness in the office. We will bring this back when we have figured out how we want to approach this.

Cheema: This proposal is interesting and thorough. Is this a priority? What are some of the goals with something like this?

Chelen: Is there a strong demand for Health and Wellness resources in our office?

Dumouchel: We need to decide if we should review and pursue this.

Kusmu: I think this is a good idea.

Chelen: I am not sure to what extent an employer should be involved with the personal health of an employee.

Yamagishi: I would be willing to do this. It sends a strong message from the Execs. It would show that we do care about our employees Health and Wellness. I think it would produce positive outcomes.

d) Agenda's and Minutes

Fiala: I wanted to show you guys some changes I have made to the agenda's, and also talk about the action items. I think that the action items should have a start and end date.

Dumouchel: A start and end date is a good idea. Also, we could have a priority and future considerations area. We could use a deadline for the agenda as well. How about by noon the day before?

The Executive Committee agreed to the updated agenda, new action items ideas and that the minutes were good the way they were.

e) Undergraduate Research Symposium Coordinator

Chelen: This is for the job description for the Undergraduate Research Symposium Coordinator student position. There are a few reasons why a new staff member is needed. This position would report to Jennifer. I need to get some feedback first.

Kusmu: I am interested in knowing how much of Emerson's work is groundwork for this.

Cheema: We need to work out the funding and we need to know what resources everyone will need.

Chelen: Petros, Emerson's time was operational. He did not plan it all but a lot of the planning ideas came from the Sterring Committee and Programming and Venues. The process from last year was not the most effective. Andy, We can talk about the funding together.

Sumar: Did you talk to Jennifer about this?

Dumouchel: She has a copy of this and we should have her feedback soon.

Sumar: One of the key responsibilities that is missing from this job description is the fundraising.

Yamagishi: Could you take a better look at this. Also we need to double-check the hours on here.

Chelen: We can go back and look at the hours and also figure out how much time is needed.

Dumouchel: This proposal needs work. The job description is well done. We will get Jennifer's feedback on this. The event was very successful last year and I think the volume will increase this year.

Sumar: last year I helped with this event and I don't think it would be hard to fill this position. The proposal looks good.

Chelen: I fail to see all of the benefits of having this as an SU event.

Kusmu: Maybe it is an initiative that could be taken on by someone else.

Dumouchel: We can discuss what to do with this event later. We assumed responsibility so we would have to find it a home.

Yamagishi: Dustin, you will need to decide what you want to do with it. There are some benefits to running this event. It will be better to find a way not to strain the Executives.

f) Exec Holidays and Time In-Lieu

Val Stewart entered the room.

Yamagishi: Val is here to go over how the Executives holidays work and time in-lieu works. We get three weeks of holidays. If we use additional days they take money off of our final paycheck to make up for it and if you do not use all of your holidays you get paid out at the end of your term.

Stewart: There are no policies for how many hours you work or how many sick days you can take.

Cheema: Please use your discretion and manage your schedules accordingly.

Dumouchel: I will look into how we have used the days off and time in-lieu in the past.

Yamagishi: I would like us all to do it the same so it is fair.

Dumouchel: Andy and myself will draft up guidelines lines to bring back to Exec.

g) Edmonton Food Conference Sumar: It is \$25.00 to attend this conference. I will send everyone out the information. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of it.

h) Access Copyright and Course Packs Dumouchel: I met with Ernie Ingles and we will sign off on the course packs by June 30, 2012. In the agreement all photocopying of course packs is free. This is good news for the Print Centre. We will need to meet with Carl before he leaves.

Yamagishi: This seems positive for us.

i) Orientation Promo Materials Dumouchel: The dates are wrong on the Orientation materials. Nigel has suggested that we either reprint or fix the date issue. We could take a lighthearted approach and get a sticky note with the correct dates and times to cover the mistake. I don't like the idea of wasting them, but I am worried the sticky notes could fall off.

Sumar: They would like to give off a professional image so I think we should reprint them.

Cheema: I am a big believer in first impressions and I think we should reprint them.

Kusmu: I think it would be cool to use a really strong sticky. I like the light hearted things. I think it's funny.

Chelen: Where would the money come from to replace them?

Dumouchel: We could look into a projects allocation being rebudgeted.

Chelen: I think they should be reprinted.

Yamagishi: I like the sticky note idea and it's cheaper. Do we need to make a decision right away?

Dumouchel: we do not need a decision right away. We can bring this back to the next Exec meeting.

j) Leeder's Hall Kusmu: Registration for this event is due next Friday. I am considering going because the east coast schools are going. I have inquired but I am not sure if food is covered. I can bring back more information.

Yamagishi: I went last year and I did not find it useful. I found that we operate on a different level than the other schools that attended.

k) Exec Goals

Yamagishi: Marc and Andy put together an excellent Executive Plan Lifecycle.

Yamagishi went through the goal document with the Executive Committee.

10. REPORTS:

- | | |
|----------------------------|-------|
| a) President | • n/a |
| b) VP Academic | • n/a |
| c) VP External | • n/a |
| d) VP Operations & Finance | • n/a |
| e) VP Student Life | • n/a |
| f) General Manager | • n/a |

11. CLOSED SESSION:

12. ADJOURNMENT: KUSMU/YAMAGISHI adjourned at 5:15 pm.