

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

2010-2011 #50

January 19, 2011

8:00 am

ATTENDANCE:	Nick Dehod	<i>President</i>
	Zach Fentiman	<i>Vice President (Operations & Finance)</i>
	Rory Tighe	<i>Vice President (Student Life)</i>
	James Eastham	<i>Vice President (Academic)</i>
	Aden Murphy	<i>Vice President (External)</i>
	Marc Dumouchel	<i>General Manager</i>

REGRETS: n/a

ABSENT: n/a

1. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by DEHOD at 8:23 am.

2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: EASTHAM/DEHOD MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the January 19, 2011 agenda as tabled.

5/0/0 CARRIED

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: DEHOD/FENTIMAN MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the January 6, 2011 minutes as tabled.

5/0/0 CARRIED

EASTHAM/FENTIMAN MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the January 10, 2011 minutes as tabled.

5/0/0 CARRIED

DEHOD/FENTIMAN MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the January 12, 2011 minutes as tabled.

5/0/0 CARRIED

4. ANNOUNCEMENTS: n/a

5. ACTION ITEMS: Reviewed and updated.

6. STUDENTS' COUNCIL: Dehod: There will be a Students' Council meeting next week. There will be a PAW presentation at that meeting.

Eastham: The nomination packages are out for elections. As well there is a Bylaw Committee meeting tonight.

7. OLD BUSINESS n/a

8. NEW BUSINESS: n/a

9. DISCUSSION PERIOD:

a) Health Services Proposal

Tighe: At the back of the agenda package you will see the proposal. Basically since the university did their services review some of their money can go to health services. Ideally it makes sense to keep the two fees separate but administratively it is burden some. If we keep the two fees separate they may not be accurate. I propose we combine it into one fee. In order for approval we need to agree on it, then council will vote and after BOG votes too.

Eastham: Last year they wanted money for this. What if we change this and they come back at us and say we didn't help pay?

Dumouchel: I think it should be renamed health and student service fee. Zach and Rory do you guys get financial statements from USS?

Fentiman: No.

Tighe: No.

Fentiman: If we were to ask for them I'm sure they would put something together. I really don't like how this looks like two fees.

Dumouchel: I really like this. It helps us in the spear of influence and could help us gain more information.

Fentiman: If we had a group for this we could see allocations and the changes from year to year. It would just make it clearer.

Dumouchel: Would it be based on the original HCAG one?

Tighe: Yes.

Dumouchel: Should we limit the number of University service directors on the committee, possibly cap it at two?

Dehod: We could have someone from our staff like Rory or a manager.

Tighe: Keep in mind this is not a voting committee.

Dumouchel: I think we should leave it the way it is and assign either Rory or Zach's position and Jane's position to it.

Tighe: I think we need one person from health and one from academic services.

Dehod: Good idea Rory.

Dumouchel: Great idea.

Tighe: Something has to happen with this fee as it stands it is false.

Dumouchel: This is a great idea, but we need to be diligent.

Eastham: Just don't forget there is a chance they could come back and say we didn't pay.

Dehod: Who do we need to speak to about this? Frank or Phyllis?

Tighe: I was waiting to see if exec was okay with this first. Next I will take it to HCAG and tell them about it. Then it will need to go to council.

Dehod: Okay Rory. Follow up with HCAG and then we will take it to council.

Tighe: I will do that.

Fentiman: We do need to make sure they are okay with it, it's kind of old. After that I think we could discuss the process.

Dumouchel: Does the GSA know about this?

Fentiman: We will let them know about this right away.

Zach then went over the process of how to make the changes with the fee.

b) Communication Info
Structure

Dehod: I talked to Marc and Rory yesterday about this. My perspective is on an annual basis we have done a lot. There are areas we need to improve on. The street teams need more support especially for posterage. We do need the info structure in place to help us put our events out there. Is this just me that thinks this?

Tighe: I think we need a student position or coordinator for next year.

Eastham: I always wondered why was the street team guarded by the VPSL? If we need a full time street team then we need one.

Dehod: Moving forward do you all think the street team should work under marketing and communications? That would be my recommendation. They could also be a street team/social media person.

Dumouchel: I think they are both in contact with everyone.

Dehod: We need someone to help with promotions.

Eastham: Maybe we could get a list of volunteers to help.

Tighe: We don't need a full time position. We need help to put up posters, update facebook pages, among other things.

Dumouchel: I think the best communication is talking to people that always seems the most effective. The street team needs to be ambassadors for the SU. They will need training.

Eastham: So lets get someone in a paid position, with a dollar wage for when they are needed or used.

Dehod: They are not just pushing info out. There are a few things that can be done by them. Events have been cancelled during Antifeeze this year due to not enough advertising. And last year Zach and I postered until 9:00pm for the legislature March.

Eastham: What about councilors helping out? We could try to increase their engagement.

Dehod; as of right now when something comes up we get services to do it. From what I have seen that is not necessarily fair. Maybe the councilors should step up but they are constant.

Fentiman: We need to think more creatively and not create a position every time we need someone. We will end up over staffing the SU.

Dehod: I agree. Katie Berg's old position is still open.

Fentiman: Okay well no one said that at the beginning, it sounded like we needed more of a new position.

Murphy: Moving from AVP to programming will pay off. But it has come at a cost to the VPA committees. In regards to the VP External campaigns have suffered due to lack of time. For campaigns we need a huge effort to advertise. So it would be nice for the future VP External to have a volunteer or someone that can help to get out and talk to students.

Dumouchel: My issue with the street team is that it is hard to find people interested in all aspects. Whether it be academic, external, programming or services.

Dehod: There maybe should be someone for each area.

Dumouchel: We should think about integrating students who are interested not councilors. There are keeners who want to help.

Dehod: People on the street team are only interested in certain aspects.

Eastham: There is no use for a street team in regards to my position. Past committees have failed cause there wasn't time to get new volunteers. Something needs to be done regarding recruitment for committees.

Dumouchel: Every portfolio has different needs.

Tighe: You can say they all have different needs. In the end no one will likely put in the time and effort for the street team to get going. Certain things will work just no one has the time to do it.

- a) President • n/a
- b) VP Academic • n/a
- c) VP External • n/a
- d) VP Operations & Finance • n/a
- e) VP Student Life • n/a
- f) General Manager • n/a

11. CLOSED SESSION:

12. ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 9:14 am.