

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

2011-2012 #09

June 14, 2011
2:00 pm

ATTENDANCE:	Rory Tighe	<i>President</i>
	Emerson Csorba	<i>Vice President (Academic)</i>
	Andy Cheema	<i>Vice President (Operations & Finance)</i>
	Colten Yamagishi	<i>Vice President (Student Life)</i>
	Farid Iskandar	<i>Vice President (External)</i>
	Marc Dumouchel	<i>General Manager</i>
	Zdena Fiala	<i>Admin Assistant to the Executives</i>
REGRETS:	n/a	
ABSENT:	n/a	

1. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by TIGHE 2:07 pm.
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: ISKANDAR/YAMAGISHI MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the June 14, 2011 agenda as tabled.
4/0/0 CARRIED
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: YAMAGISHI/ISKANDAR MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the June 9, 2011 minutes as tabled.
4/0/0 CARRIED
4. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Tighe: Emerson is gone until Monday. Farid is gone all day Friday.
Dumouchel: I am taking Friday off.
Cheema: I will be away in Toronto from Monday to Wednesday.
5. ACTION ITEMS: Reviewed and updated.
6. STUDENTS' COUNCIL: Tighe: There is a Students' Council meeting tonight.
Iskandar: I will be bringing the senate motion.
The Executive Committee discussed the pink glove motion.
7. OLD BUSINESS: n/a
8. NEW BUSINESS: n/a
9. DISCUSSION PERIOD:
 - a) Policy Goals Tighe: Please take the goals that you sent me and clean them up for the

Policy Committee.

Iskandar: We do not need new goals for that?

Tighe: Last year, we used the same ones and they were fine.

Iskandar: I would like to meet before that policy meeting.

Tighe: Just send it to me and I will make sure they are reasonable. Please send it by Friday.

b) Toronto SUB Visit

Dumouchel: Many of us will be down there, should we have everyone come?

Tighe: Do you see the value in it? Should Colten come too?

Colten: I am not sure if it is worth the money. How many schools are you seeing?

Dumouchel: Five or six.

Yamagishi: I will come as long as the office will be fine without all of us.

Dumouchel: Funding will be from the projects allocation and council will see it on the reports.

Tighe: Colten think about the benefits of going and then see Marc outside of this meeting.

c) ECOS Rebranding

Nigel Brachi: We did not get the response we were thinking we would get about the name we suggested for ECOS. We have kept the one original one and added two more. The names are Balance: Shaping a Sustainable Campus Community, Sustain | SU: The Student Sustainability Service, Student Sustainability Service: Shaping a Balanced Campus Community

Johanna Comartin: The office of sustainability did join us for brainstorming yesterday.

Iskandar: What did they think of Balance?

Johanna Comartin: They did not get it.

Ian Moore: I like the name Balance because you do not have to say sustainability as much. But Sustain | SU is fine.

Yamagishi: Student Sustainability Service is a safe name.

Tighe: Does anyone have any questions?

Iskandar: I thought Balance was the first choice, why didn't it make it into the other tag lines?

Johanna Comartin: It did, it made it into Student Sustainability Service: Shaping a Balanced Campus Community.

Nigel Brachi: Sustain | SU comes off a single phrase. We can add balance in there somewhere on the website.

Tighe: Is there any other questions? We will not be voting today. We will wait until Thursday.

Iskandar: How does Nigel feel about that?

Nigel Brachi: Thursday is fine.

Iskandar: I would rather wait.

Yamagishi: I would like to have the vote today.

Tighe: We should wait for Emerson.

Tighe: Would you guys like to hear Johanna's preference?

Johanna Comartin: I like Student Sustainability Service: Shaping a Balanced Campus Community. It is descriptive and communicates more. It does not have the spark or catchiness the other two have.

Dumouchel: I don't think it identifies as strongly with the SU as Sustain | SU.

Johanna Comartin: A lot of services do not have SU in them.

Ian Moore: I like Sustain | SU.

Tighe: What about you Nigel?

Nigel Brachi: I like Sustain | SU.

Tighe: We need to move on, is there anything else?

Johanna Comartin, Ian Moore and Nigel Brachi left the room.

Yamagishi: This is mine. There is a Councillor that would like to attend this.

Dumouchel: How does this benefit the SU?

Cheema: According to our policy we only send paid employees to conferences. There is limited benefit to the SU. If we agree to this it could open the floodgates, there could be arguments. If we send one we will have to send all 32.

Dumouchel: Well said.

d) Councillor Conference
Request – Food Summit

Yamagishi: I think we should say no but provide resources.

Dumouchel: I think you should redirect her to the Dean of Students' Office for the student engagement grants.

e) U of A Open House Recommendation

Dumouchel: Services has asked us to increase our presence at the open house. They suggested we double or triple the size of our booth. It has been recommended and I just wanted to bring it up here today.

f) Hugh Phillips Training Request

Dumouchel: I strongly support this. I would recommend that we use money from casino. We could do this every second year. We plan to send twenty three staff members. It is a really good exercise.

g) Peer Support Centre Casino Request

Dumouchel: I have already told the peer support center that we have computers and desk that they can use and that they do not need brand new stuff. I am withdrawing this.

h) Ontario PSE visits

Dumouchel: I apologize if I did not handle this quite right. If we can not get the PA for this I will take it from my own conference money. Jane and Johanna are going on this conference and they need to extend there trip for 2 days. They need two extra nights at the hotel and also a rental car.

Iskandar: Is this breaking the policy?

Dumouchel: This is an extension to a previously approved motion.

Cheema: It doesn't count as a conference it is an extension. We will do what we think is best.

Dumouchel: We could run it as a variance.

Cheema: We will not be cutting corners.

Yamagishi: What do you recommend?

Dumouchel: We can pay it out of the 402 budget for now.

Tighe: Is there a policy for traveling to other cities to tour Students' Union Buildings? We need a clear policy.

Dumouchel: This is an exception.

Tighe: I just think we need to be clear.

Cheema: I will read up and see if there is a policy.

Yamagishi: I would like a report from them when they return.

Tighe: So what do we want to do?

Cheema: We will use Marc's conference budget for now.

- i) Cinemania Yamagishi: The Garneau is under new management. They would like to have free movies for students when they present their one cards. This will cost us about \$100.00-\$200.00 a month. Around \$1000.00 a year. Also the Gateway would like help with advertising.

We can discuss this more at the next Exec meeting.

10. REPORTS:

- | | |
|----------------------------|-------|
| a) President | • n/a |
| b) VP Academic | • n/a |
| c) VP External | • n/a |
| d) VP Operations & Finance | • n/a |
| e) VP Student Life | • n/a |
| f) General Manager | • n/a |

11. CLOSED SESSION:

12. ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 3:10 pm.