

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

2011-2012 #08

June 9, 2011
2:00 pm

ATTENDANCE:	Rory Tighe	<i>President</i>
	Emerson Csorba	<i>Vice President (Academic)</i>
	Andy Cheema	<i>Vice President (Operations & Finance)</i>
	Colten Yamagishi	<i>Vice President (Student Life)</i>
	Farid Iskandar	<i>Vice President (External)</i>
	Marc Dumouchel	<i>General Manager</i>
	Nicole Buchholz	<i>Admin Assistant to Students' Council</i>
REGRETS:	n/a	
ABSENT:	n/a	

1. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by TIGHE 2:05 pm.
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: CSORBA/YAMAGISHI MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the June 9, 2011 agenda as tabled.
5/0/0 CARRIED
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: CSORBA/ISKANDAR MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve the June 2, 2011 minutes as tabled.
5/0/0 CARRIED
4. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Dumouchel: I will not be in tomorrow. I will be preparing for retreat.
Tighe: I will be away from June 25 to July 11.
5. ACTION ITEMS: Reviewed and updated.
6. STUDENTS' COUNCIL: Tighe: Reports are due tomorrow at 8:00am. Council retreat is this weekend. Also please have your goals for council retreat.
7. OLD BUSINESS: n/a
8. NEW BUSINESS: n/a
9. DISCUSSION PERIOD:
 - a) Youth Assembly Conference
Tighe: The youth assembly conference is going on July 28-30. The youth ages are 16-25 and this is going on at the U of A. They had it last year and people were interested. They wanted discounts on food and rooms. I am getting prices from Kristen.
Csorba: It will be good marketing for us.

Tighe: I think this is worth bringing back to the next exec meeting.

b) Leaders Hall

Tighe: Farid and I can not go because we both will not be here. It is for four days, I think it would be good for one of you to go. It is June 26-29.

Dumouchel: It is leadership focused and has a lot of good speakers at it.

Yamagishi: It would be useful.

c) Delegate Cabinet

Csorba: It is hard to go to all the committee meetings. There should be a contract between all the delegates and us.

Cheema: I think we should have an agreement that shouldn't automatically terminate. They should be an act of renewal.

Dumouchel: It does get busy and we tend to let the little things go. It is kind of a safety measure.

Csorba: Very few people continue after one year.

Cheema: Maybe it's just the word termination. Maybe we could soften the wording in a contract.

Csorba: Amanda wrote this. I will bring it back later and we can discuss the termination part. Amanda's advice has to be impartial and it is a matter of dealing with the delegates.

d) SU Corporate Challenge
Team-June 19 Leduc
Dragon Boat Race

Csorba: Devonne needs 16-24 people and I thought it might be a good idea for us to participate in this event.

Tighe: Someone should take the lead to get people to go.

Csorba: I'll take the lead.

e) Pink Glove Dance

Csorba: On the Students' Council facebook page Councillor L'abbe wants us to participate in this and wants to move a motion through council. I will vote against this.

Tighe: It is not sponsorship he just wants to make a thirty minute video with pink gloves.

Cheema: It is more of an endorsement.

Iskandar: I do not like the idea of passing a motion in council.

Cheema: Taking it to council could be a waste of time. I think we should just bring it the executive committee.

Yamagishi: I think it is go that a councilor is taking the initiative but maybe

he is going about it the wrong way.

Iskandar; What if we have this as a motion and no one shows up?

Dumouchel: I don't know what to do with this. Council can do it if they want or exec can. I don't think we should create a situation where people are back dooring through council.

Csorba: It might be good to go through council.

Cheema: We should discuss if we want to do this or not.

Iskandar: It should be more of an announcement. This will be a debatable issue in council. We need to set the tone with what council does.

Dumouchel: Could the policy committee have a look and see how we do endorsements?

Cheema: I could draft a policy.

Iskandar; I think this is fit for Bylaw committee.

Tighe: we will go over it more on the weekend.

f) Hat Friday

Yamagishi: I wanted to make sure that you guys are happy with the way things are going.

Tighe: I think it should be more formal.

Csorba: Should it just be 2-900 or all services?

Yamagishi: Some places in the building can not wear hats.

Dumouchel: We shouldn't force people to do it though.

Cheema: Everyone should be able to pick ideas for what to do on Fridays.

g) TEDx Conference

Yamagishi: I was wondering if you wanted to do a TEDx? There are two co chairs taking care of it. They want to know if we could help with sponsorships. I can update you again when I have more information.

Dumouchel: We had a TEDx guy speak at a conference I was at and it was really good.

Iskandar: They charge a ridiculous amount of money but the SU should be cheap.

Dumouchel: Don't bring people in but have locals instead.

Csorba: You should talk more to the people that are interested. I agree about

using local people.

h) Winter 2012 Interfaculty
Gala

Csorba: I would like to hoist this in January. I would like to bring in different faculties. I asked if the SU could make some kind of certificate.

Dumouchel: When I think of a gala I think more of a party is this more of a conference?

Csorba: Well it has dinner, speeches and other stuff. I have them some tips and asked them to bring me a proposal.

Tighe: You should direct them to SGS for grants.

i) Conference Request

Dumouchel: This is a great request.

Cheema: This is an exciting opportunity for me to meet with people in the same position across the country.

Tighe: This will come from projects allocation.

Iskandar: Maybe next time make it later in the year.

Csorba: Maybe think about hosting one if this goes good. Maybe we can showcase some of what we know.

ISKANDAR/YAMAGISHI MOVED THAT the Executive Committee approve a projects allocation not to exceed \$1400.00 for the Vice President Operations and Finance Andy Cheema for the purpose of attending the Finance Operation Summit from June 20-22, 2011 in Toronto, Ontario.

5/0/0 CARRIED

10. REPORTS:

a) President

- Support the Vice Presidents
- Communications
- Sustainability
- Student Mental Health
- The External Portfolio
- Work Environment
- Student Space
- Increase the Number of Involved Students

b) VP Academic

- STUDENT/GRADUATE ATTRIBUTES
- SOCIAL MEDIA
- SUPPORT OF STUDENTS IN GOVERNANCE
- UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
- BE BOOK SMART/CRAM
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
- STUDENT OMBUDSERVICE MOU
- FAs IN ORIENTATION 2011

- COFA/FACULTY ASSOCIATIONS
 - FESTIVAL OF TEACHING
 - ASSESSMENT AND GRADING
 - ACADEMIC SUSTAINABILITY
 - TRANSFER CREDITS
 - FALL READING WEEK
- c) VP External
- Get Out the Vote Campaign
 - Lobby Training Program
 - Mandatory Non-Instructional Fees Regulation
 - Increasing Non-Repayable Grants
 - Improving the Elections Act
 - Copyright/Book Import Tax
 - International Student Visas
 - Elimination of Property Tax on Student Residence
 - Increase Faculty to Student Ratio
 - Bylaw 2000
- d) VP Operations & Finance
- Grant Allocation Committee
 - Students' Union Building
 - Students' Union Building Renewal
 - PAW Centre
 - PowerPlant/Dewey's
 - Food & Beverage
 - Retail Businesses
 - Communication
 - Executive Committee
 - Finances
 - Student Fees
- e) VP Student Life
- Programming
 - Services
 - Advocacy
- f) General Manager
- n/a

11. CLOSED SESSION:

12. ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 3:57 pm.