



ELECTIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE MINUTES

2013 – 2014

Date: November 27th 2013

Time: 3.02 pm

In Attendance:

CHLOE SPEAKMAN (Chair)

HARLEY MORRIS

ADAM WOODS

DAWSON ZENG

MARINA BANISTER

Excused Absence:

Others in Attendance:

SACHITHA KUSALADHARMA

**1. CALL TO
ORDER:**

The meeting was called to order by SPEAKMAN at 3.02 pm.

**2. APPROVAL OF
AGENDA**

ZENG moved to amend the agenda to change the location from SUB 6-06 to SUB 6-08.

The motion was seconded by BANISTER.

Vote on Motion 5/ 0 /0

CARRIED

**3. APPROVAL OF
MINUTES**

Tabled till the next meeting.

**4.
ANNOUNCEMENTS**

None.

5. DISCUSSION

Elections Survey

SPEAKMAN: I have some notes about the feedback we got from council about the presentation.

BANISTER: They wanted it to be longer though.

SPEAKMAN: I got an email from vice-president Chelen about Online Policies and Procedures. I don't think it applies to us. We will be collecting data ourselves on a voluntary basis. I replied to him telling this, and he believes that I'm correct.

Someone said that we needed to keep in mind the paper usage. However, the Students' Union (SU) doesn't own any iPads at the moment.

BANISTER: CBAS (Collective body for Arts Students) can volunteer 2 iPads.

ZENG: We can have a table in the SUB (Students' Union Building), and have a couple of questions on a big screen. It will be easier for students to see it, and fill those questions. This way, they don't have to commit to the entire survey, and passersby will be curious.

BANISTER: Identifiers are a major part of our survey. So, unless we can have some identifier questions, there may be inconsistencies in our survey. I think this would be effective as an advertising strategy.

Let's edit the survey first, and not think about the distribution right now.

WOODS: The best time to do this would be right after the elections. We can make recommendations for next year. However, we can't change this year's election. After the election, people will have it fresh on their minds.

SPEAKMAN: Councilor Hodgson asked why we should separate General and Executive elections.

ZENG: We should separate them because there is a larger voter turnout for executive elections.

MORRIS: They are more publicized too.

SPEAKMAN: Question 12 is supposed to say "I have attended forums" instead of "I will attend forums".

Another comment is that the email should be optional. Another comment was that having the email would put off some people, and that it would be better to just have a link to our website. The intent of that question was to have future contact with interested people.

BANISTER: Realistically, who will be emailing all of them?

MORRIS: We can include the link to our website on the wraps of treats we will be handing out. Because they will be handing back the survey to us, it's pointless to have the website on that.

BANISTER: That would be a really good idea.

SPEAKMAN: We need more space after "Most effective way to educate myself".

MORRIS: Why don't we add it to the comments section?

SPEAKMAN: Do you want the comments section at the very bottom?

BANISTER: Yes.

SPEAKMAN: We also have 1 volunteer to help deliver our survey.

Another councilor said that it would be good to have another identifier for Canadian but not Edmontonians.

WOODS: I don't think that it would be a good idea. We are tracking voting behavior, and not voting trends.

SPEAKMAN: There was a proposal for a follow-up question for “Have you ever voted”, which was “Which year were you in”. I don’t think that that makes sense.

BANISTER: Should we put options for “Best way to educate me”?

WOODS: I see much more value in individual answers. Multiple choice questions will lead people to certain answers.

SPEAKMAN: How about Campus St-Jean and Augustana?

WOODS: We can ask for help from certain individuals there, and the Faculty Associations. Councilor Champagne can help us too.

SPEAKMAN: Are we going to make a French copy of this?

WOODS: I would encourage that, especially for about Campus St-Jean.

We can ask Councilor Champaign to translate it.

SPEAKMAN: That’s all for the content feedback. The speaker Turner was directing me to the information act (PIPA), and fiduciary duty. I want to know whether we may get into trouble.

WOODS: I will look into that.

SPEAKMAN: How are we going to get the incentives? A suggestion was to give coupons for *The Daily Grind* and other SU businesses.

WOODS: I think *The Daily Grind* would be the best. I can ask the executive committee for a project allocation. The Council Administration Committee (CAC) also has money, but it is limited.

BANISTER: Do we have a projected target? For example 1000, or 5% of each faculty?

SPEAKMAN: 1000 is not accurate enough for a target. 5% of each faculty is much better.

BANISTER: We can also do it on a building by building basis, and have a certain amount of volunteers for a certain time in each building.

MORRIS: We can also ask from councilors about where most students in their faculties hang out.

SPEAKMAN: Are we allowed to do this in residences?

WOODS: That’s a big no.

SPEAKMAN: Are we going to do this with only iPads, or are we having paper copies as well?

BANISTER: Paper as well.

SPEAKMAN: Some councilors said that the best way to contact Medicine, Dentistry, and Law students was via email. I think it may be okay to do that.

MORRIS: You can still get to law students by hanging around their library.

SPEAKMAN: What is the harming of doing both?

BANISTER: It will skew our results.

MORRIS: If people are not going to fill the survey in person, will they respond to an email?

SPEAKMAN: What those representatives said was that these students tend to check their emails more often, and respond more. They think it’s the best way to go.

MORRIS: If we do both, we may skew our results by double collections.

WOODS: Also, we can’t send emails just for students of certain faculties.

BANISTER: We may not get access to email lists from all the faculties.

SPEAKMAN: I now tend to think that emails would not be a good idea.

ZENG: Most law students are not going to interact with us.

SPEAKMAN: We can ask the volunteers to keep a tally of how many refusals they get.

To summarize: we are going to get labels to wrap our incentives, approach Councilor Champagne about the French translation, get Councilor Gruhlke's help regarding Augustana, contact the executive committee regarding a project allocation, and email Vice-president Josh about *The Daily Grind*.

WOODS: How much money do you think you guys need for this?

SPEAKMAN: Can I get someone to volunteer to prepare an informal budget?

ZENG: I can do that.

SPEAKMAN: We also need to figure out our goal for reaching students.

We can leave the option of emailing on the table for now. I will also create a Google document for volunteer signup.

6. REPORTS

None.

7. CLOSED SESSION

NIL

8. NEXT MEETING

December 02nd at 2 pm.

9. ADJOURNMENT

SPEAKMAN moved to adjourn the meeting.
The motion was seconded by BANISTER.

Vote on Motion 5/ 0 /0

CARRIED

The meeting was adjourned at 3.52 pm.