



University of Alberta Students' Union

**ABORIGINAL  
RELATIONS &  
RECONCILIATION  
COMMITTEE  
(ARRC)**

**September 4, 2020  
3:07pm  
Google Hangout**

We would like to respectfully acknowledge that our University and our Students' Union are located on Treaty 6 Territory. We are grateful to be on Cree, Dene, Sauleaux, Métis, Blackfoot, and Nakota Sioux territory; specifically the ancestral space of the Papaschase Cree.

These Nations are our family, friends, faculty, staff, students, and peers. As members of the University of Alberta Students' Union we honour the nation-to-nation treaty relationship. We aspire for our learning, research, teaching, and governance to acknowledge and work towards the decolonization of Indigenous knowledges and traditions.

**ATTENDANCE**

NAME	PROXY	PRESENT
Simran Dhillon (CHAIR)		Y
Talia Dixon		Y
Eric Einarson		Y
Alana Krahn		Y
Katie Kidd		Y
Elizabeth Blanchette		Y
Christian Fotang		?
Vaughn Beaulieu-Mercredi		Y

**MINUTES (ARRC 2020-05)**

**2020-05/1**

**INTRODUCTION**

**2020-05/1a**

**Call to Order**

DHILLON: Called the meeting to order at 3:07pm.

**2020-05/2**

**COMMITTEE BUSINESS**

**2020-05/2a**

**Student-at-Large Applications**

DHILLON: We can start off with the situation with the student-at-large applications. Katie, did they get back to you?

KIDD: Yeah. So, the site is still working, I don't know what happened with that girl that messaged you. I think what happened in the end is that she had missed a section and that's why she couldn't apply. But anyways, David is sorting that out. I'm leaving it to him and Kristin to fix, and I have not gotten an update. I'll get an update and put it in the chat.

BLANCHETTE: That's good, as long as we know someone is working on it. I made sure to get personal information from the people who talked to me so we can update them and they don't just disappear into the void.

DHILLON: It's also super optimistic that people are reaching out now about those positions, and that there's interest there. I'm sure when the new deadline is set, it'll be much easier to get in applications. That was the other thing; I don't think David has put a deadline on there for now, but I was wondering if we wanted to think about putting a deadline on there, because we have started school, and we can start reaching out to profs and different organizations again.

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, I think that makes sense.

KIDD: Yeah, I can reach out and ask him too. What date do we want?

DHILLON: Do we have a reasonable timeline? I was thinking maybe 18th, 24th, three weeks, two weeks, what are we thinking?

BLANCHETTE: I was thinking two weeks, because all of these people applied with my post said the deadline is at the end of the month, and everyone started applying just at the end or asking me now after the deadline, so I don't think extending it is going to increase the number of people who apply at this point.

DHILLON: Right. So how do we feel about September 18th then? That's two weeks away. I'll reach out to David about that. As long as the site is working, that was the biggest concern, but I'm sure they figured it out. I'll keep you guys updated with what he says about that.

**2020-05/2a**

### **Infographic**

DHILLON: In regards to the infographic, I think there's more or less an idea of what it's supposed to look like, what information pieces we should have on there. I don't know if everyone got a chance to refer to the different sections we were talking about, so having comparison with services, like ARRC obviously does more SU accountability, ASC does services, composition of

both groups, information on voting processes, social media handles, and stuff like that. I don't know if everyone got a chance to look at that, but was there any additional information we thought was beneficial to put on there?

KIDD: I might have one thing, but I just want to take a second look at it before I say it.

DHILLON: Sure. And just before that too, I want to bring up the point that I thought it would be beneficial to have our meeting times and dates. Obviously we started a semester, so this time might not work for everybody still. So before I put on the ARRC meeting time for right now, is everyone okay with this time? Okay, perfect. Has ASC decided on a [time]?

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, it's actually Fridays at 5:00, so right after this.

DHILLON: Okay. We can have the email contacts for ARRC - [they] would be Kristin, I believe? Or Navneet? - to join. And then for ASC, who would they have to contact to be a part of committee meetings?

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, so it would be [acouncil@ualberta.ca](mailto:acouncil@ualberta.ca) - I can put that in the chat.

DHILLON: Okay, perfect. So those were the things that were variable last time we talked, so I'm glad we can just solidify those. Katie, did you have that comment?

KIDD: Yeah, I glanced over this a few times, and I'm pretty sure it's not here, but if it is, sorry. I just was wondering if you want - and I know this won't be applicable to the larger student population - but for council, do we want to create a "which body would you go to"? I attended only a few ARRC meetings last year, but I was also the SU rep on ASC, and everything that was brought to ASC from the SU was also brought to ARRC, it felt like. I'm sure that's a slight exaggeration, but any policy - it was kind of ridiculous at some point, because at the time it was pretty much the same people looking at it twice, so it didn't make much of a difference. But I think that would probably be beneficial for people to know this year, and in the future.

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, we did actually talk about that a bit, about having this nice little infographic that's really simple, that can go on social media for literally any student to read it and know what the difference is, because for people who might not know what Students' Union is or what ASC is, this would be helpful. But we also talked about having a more extensive document for councillors exactly because of what you just said. And it's happening again this year, where we've gotten [those] emails from people.

DHILLON: On the document, it does touch on it a little bit, but it has splitting up what's available per body. So do you think there's a better way we can

outline that, that can define what you were talking about Katie?

KIDD: I'm just looking that over. So we just want anyone writing a policy to come to ARRC, we don't want them going to ASC anymore? Is that what that's saying? Just to confirm.

DHILLON: Wait, which part?

KIDD: Okay, infographic, ASC vs. ARRC, it has university and SU policies. I could have misinterpreted that, but to me, that meant that if you're writing an SU policy, you go to ARRC.

DHILLON: Kind of what I was thinking when I wrote that was if they have questions about the way the Students' Union was operating and stuff like that, questions about more so what's under the bracket of the SU and what operations they do and what services they offer. Obviously ASC offers different services, so I guess I probably worded that incorrectly, but it was more so based on services rather than policies.

BLANCHETTE: I think it's about anything that's related to questions about how the SU functions, like "oh I'm working on this policy, and I wanted to make sure if it fits within the Students' Union goal of reconciliation", you would go to ARRC to see if it fits within it, because ARRC is uniquely trying to make sure that SU actions are within reconciliation. I think also, though, we can include on that piece of paper for councillors in particular, just to write something down like approaching ARRC about Students' Union actions on reconciliation is not equivalent to consultation. So if you are doing work that is related to indigenous issues, then you should make sure that you are putting in the effort to speak to indigenous people in particular, and that can look like reaching out to ASC, reaching out to First Peoples' House, reaching out to the Indigenous Graduate Students Association. I hope that makes it slightly more clear. You can tack it on at the end, for anyone who is uniquely working on making a policy that specifically addresses issues related to indigenous students. That's when I think you can put in "this doesn't count for consultation". But as a primary resource, it makes sense to go to ARRC as a councillor. Something related to that would work.

DHILLON: I think that's amazing, especially having that very clear about how it's not equivalent is I think super important. Sorry Katie, I didn't mean to cut you off.

KIDD: Okay, so then the SU section can be really expanded, because we do have quite a few things that can fall under there. Unless you need this done for Tuesday, I can reach out to Megan, but we could have the Indigenous Leadership Program that's starting in January, the awards, and we do hopefully have a new program starting as well. There's definitely more things that can go on the SU side for indigenous students, just to make sure that it's

all-encompassing. I can get that information to you guys next week.

DHILLON: That's totally fair. Just going into your question about timeline, I don't think there's a particular rush right now, I think we should just do the best that we can to have all the information that needs to be there, so we don't have to continuously update it or change things. So if we can have the most impactful information on there, we can have that done. But that does bring up a good point that I wanted to discuss: When should we aim to have it finished? I was thinking that if we assign ourselves different categories to work on, the next meeting we can look through it altogether, and then the meeting after that we look at proofing it and sending it to council or something. Is that a fair timeline for us?

KIDD: This might mess up the timeline, but marketing wants us to go through them for any infographics created, just so that it's on-brand. We can do it where we create all the information, take it up to council, see if they think we're missing anything and then give it to marketing, and whenever they're done we can post it. I think that would probably be the best [option], instead of taking the finished product and them being like "you forgot this program".

DHILLON: So what do we feel about having it finished and sent to marketing by the end of the month? Is that reasonable for us? That's what I was thinking. If we are able to assign ourselves a particular section now that we've discussed what we want to see in there, we can have that section done by our next meeting, so we can go through all of it together and then have something ready. I can format it for us, to send then to council, and then we can see how that goes.

BLANCHETTE: One thing I'm not sure about is the sections, because all of this is sort of comparative. I don't feel confident whenever I say something about SU programming, and I'm sure it goes the other way too. We can maybe do this splitting up into categories, but even when I was just making that table of comparisons for myself to start thinking about it, I would write something and I would be like, "oh shoot, I have to look this up now, because I'm not sure". So it will take a while. I don't know what the most effective way of doing this is, like we can try that and see how that works, but I don't know if it's going to really work well.

DHILLON: I totally agree. What I was more so thinking is that we can assign SU people with the SU side of things, and then maybe you, Katie and Vaughn could do more so the ASC comparison side, so what's the composition of that, what do you guys do, and then your contact information, stuff like that. Does that sort of help with that issue?

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, I think that makes a lot more sense. And then switching over to review, we can make sure that what we said makes sense to people who worked on the other section.

DHILLON: Okay, perfect. Does anyone else have any concerns with that? I think it'll be probably the most efficient way, because then by next meeting we'll be able to review everything together, and bring up any concerns we have with our work. Then hopefully it'll get done and posted by the end of this month, which should be really cool. Is everyone okay with the categories outlined there? "Composition", "Contact Information", "Services", "Voting Policies", and "Social Media Handles".

EINARSON: I think that pretty well covers it, and then I'm sure that along the way, when we're pulling up information, we'll find other stuff that would be cool to include.

KIDD: I'll probably just look over both sections if that's okay with everyone, just in case there's any programming that the SU misses. I don't know if I'll find stuff that ASC people miss, but I can definitely make sure.

BLANCHETTE: I do agree with the sections, but I do think that, as I was writing out the two separate sides, perhaps having either a concluding or introduction section that discusses where the values of both ARRC and ASC align, and how their mandates are so similar. Even though they have different roles and purposes with different people composing them, they share a similar mandate of pushing for empowering indigenous voices and increasing their presence on campus. Both ARRC and ASC exist to empower indigenous students on campus, but here is where their roles differ when you look at them a little more closely.

DHILLON: I think that would be really good, I added that to the list as well. Also, we don't have to decide on assignments, but we can do that if that would be helpful, or I can leave it to you guys to make a chart to see who wants to sign up for which. Or we could decide now, it's up to you guys.

BLANCHETTE: I think maybe make a chart, because some people aren't here. A chart might be nice.

DHILLON: Okay, I'll put that on the same document then. Since the next meeting is on the 18th, close to the 18th we have to have our part done is the expectation, so if everyone could sign up by Monday or Tuesday, then we can just get started on our sections. And I'll send a reminder on the WhatsApp chat too. Is there any other concerns or things you want to talk about in this meeting with the student-at-large positions or anything else?

BLANCHETTE: When do we know when we'll have the date confirmed?

DHILLON: I'll message David right after this meeting, and I'm sure he'll have to consult with his team as well. It's a long weekend, and I can't expect too much work to be done, so I think Tuesday is a good ballpark time when he'll

get back with a message.

KIDD: I don't think he actually has to consult with his team, because to them it doesn't impact them. I'm sure he'll say yes. The one thing will be we just won't know when we know who got picked, that we'll have to figure out next week.

DHILLON: Last time I messaged him about the deadline change, he said he had to talk to his committee. Maybe it'll be sooner than that, I'll let you know. I guess the latest then is Tuesday.

BLANCHETTE: That's totally fine. Just wanted to make sure I hold off a bit before we post it, and that's good because as long as ideally if we can just advertise it at our first meeting next Friday for ASC, that would be ideal.

DHILLON: Yeah, that would be perfect. Okay, so I'll message him right after this. If he can respond to me today, I'll let you guys know.

**2020-05/5**

**ADJOURNMENT**

DHILLON: Adjourned the meeting at 3:30pm.