



University of Alberta Students' Union

**ABORIGINAL
RELATIONS &
RECONCILIATION
COMMITTEE
(ARRC)**

**21 August 2020
3:00pm
Google Hangout**

We would like to respectfully acknowledge that our University and our Students' Union are located on Treaty 6 Territory. We are grateful to be on Cree, Dene, Saulteaux, Métis, Blackfoot, and Nakota Sioux territory; specifically the ancestral space of the Papaschase Cree.

These Nations are our family, friends, faculty, staff, students, and peers. As members of the University of Alberta Students' Union we honour the nation-to-nation treaty relationship. We aspire for our learning, research, teaching, and governance to acknowledge and work towards the decolonization of Indigenous knowledges and traditions.

ATTENDANCE

NAME	PROXY	PRESENT
Simran Dhillon (CHAIR)		Y
Talia Dixon		N
Eric Einarson		Y
Alana Krahn		Y
Katie Kidd		N
Elizabeth Blanchette		Y
Christian Fotang		N
Vaughn Beaulieu-Mercredi		N

MINUTES (ARRC 2020-04)

2020-04/1

INTRODUCTION

2020-04/1a

Call to Order

DHILLON called to order at 3:09 pm

2020-04/2

COMMITTEE BUSINESS

2020-04/2a

Student-at-Large Position

DHILLON: Right now I guess we're just discussing the ASC vs. ARRC handbook

navigation item. So I'll go on introducing it a bit more, since I know Talia wasn't here also. But in regards to updates that I had about just the student-at-large positions, I asked about the welcome workshop to incorporate that somehow in the student governance workshop, and I'll be following up with them again, because I think it'll be really beneficial if we could be a part of that welcome workshop, that would be really engaging for a lot of incoming students as well. So yeah, just still trying to engage with those sorts of bodies at the moment so that when September rolls around and we try to come up with a new deadline, that we have those avenues in place. So if anyone has any additional people or additional profs, feel free to send their email my way or to send them an email. I can even send you the email that I've been sending people, so if you want to send people stuff, feel free to message me about it. Nothing really to do until classes start. In regards to the ASC/ARRC navigation system, Katie mentioned it last time that there's a lot of confusion on what ARRC does, versus what ASC offers, and how we can make that more easy to navigate for incoming students or current students who don't even know that ARRC exists and even what they are trying to achieve. How can we better distribute that knowledge? That's kind of our goal right now. That's the best briefing I can possibly give. What we can discuss now then is what we want it to personally look like, and at our next meeting, we can start working on it and drafting up the different sections. We can even assign who wants to take on which sections, and then later on, we can discuss how we want to distribute that information. What does everyone think about that pathway?

BLANCHETTE: My thought is that what could be probably most useful would be like a fairly simple infographic or like a quick poster-style thing where everything you need to know is pretty broadly there, something that can be shared on social media, with brief bullet points on the difference between ARRC and ASC. I don't know what it's like to be a Students' Union councillor, but maybe a more in-depth breakdown would be useful, if that's what you're thinking about, although it might take more work to write out.

DHILLON: I definitely agree, I think that infographic idea is the best way to advertise it and market it, because it's much more digestible. But we could even have something included in the infographic, like if you want more information on what entails being an SU councillor or how to run, those sort of processes. Also we can include what ARRC does, what they have done, and what they will continue to do. We can't put all that information on the infographic, but we can link to it. Looking at the infographic, does everyone else agree on having an infographic and then just linking everything else together?

EINARSON: I think if we were to make a handbook, it'll definitely be a lot more daunting than something more visually appealing that people will want to look at, so I think it's a fantastic idea.

DHILLON: So for the infographic, what are the main bullet points or ideas that we should highlight?

BLANCHETTE: I think it was super broad, because I also checked in with the ASC group chat for what people thought. They said ARRC is more related to university and SU policies, and making sure that reconciliation is going through what SU does, and also holding the Students' Union accountable. ASC is very much present for aboriginal students on campus, it advocates for the students and develops programming for the students. Although ASC tries to hold the SU accountable too, their main focus is on the students. I think that may be some big bullet point differences.

DHILLON: Yeah. I don't know how it's going to look, but we could definitely highlight the mission statements of both ASC and ARRC, because yeah, I agree, this [ARRC] is much more holding SU accountable, and ASC has much more programs and services available for students themselves. Does anyone else have any ideas for what to include in the infographic?

EINARSON: I think one of the ones that would be fairly useful to include would be the composition of who's on ARRC and who's on ASC, just to give more insight into what we do. I always like to draw on the idea of insiders forget what it's like to be outsiders, and for a lot of people, they may not understand why we do what we do.

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, that's actually super great, so people understand that ARRC is composed of Students' Union representatives, with ASC representatives, but it's still a Students' Union committee.

DHILLON: We could do that too. Should we include what services are available? We could say what services ASC is here for, as well as contact information available for their inquiries, that could be good as well.

BLANCHETTE: I think for Students' Union councillors, perhaps that's a little more relevant. Vaughn described ARRC as "Indigenous HR for the SU", so questions about review can go to an actual SU committee instead of having to go through ASC first. But for the general student population, ARRC is where you go if you have questions about what the SU is doing related to reconciliation, or you want to propose things for the SU to do. Otherwise, I can't really think of many reasons why a general student would really need to approach ARRC, if that makes sense.

DHILLON: Yeah, that's totally fair, and I guess that's the biggest thing to portray. People might get confused with the name of ARRC, but do we offer a lot of services? No, it's much more trying to commit to those goals that were made earlier. That would be a large thing to highlight, because I guess you guys do get a lot of emails that potentially could go to ARRC in regards to SU. Taking a step back and looking at what ARRC looks like to someone who

knows nothing about SU is the biggest thing, making it very clear that we unfortunately don't do a lot of services.

BLANCHETTE: We could add to the infographic and say that indigenous students can all be voting members of ARRC if they attend, because that might be the most relevant thing to someone who knows nothing about ARRC. It really helps them understand how the committee is different from other Students' Union committees, and how it's formed for them, or with the intention to truly help do good reconciliation. That would be a useful thing to put on there, so if an indigenous student is looking at what ARRC is for, they understand that it is important and it is trying to work for them. It's pretty important to show how reconciliation is trying to include those voices.

DHILLON: I totally agree. Another thing popped into my head too. I'm not sure if this is also with ASC, but can anyone sit in on the meetings? Because I know with ARRC, anyone can sit in on the meetings if they so choose. Is that the same for ASC? Because we could also include meeting dates and times to make that more accessible for students as well.

BLANCHETTE: Absolutely. You can say that for both committees, actually. That's a similarity. All self-identified First Nations, Metis and Inuit students on campus are voting members of both of these things. For ARRC, you can say that you need to contact beforehand so that the chair knows you're coming. But for ASC, literally you can show up whenever. If you are a First Nations, Metis, and Inuit student, you are registered. The difference after that is that ARRC Students' Union councillors are also voting members, and then in ASC, non-indigenous folks can attend and can become members if they want to. But yeah, that's actually a really good thing to point out, that similarity is that if you're an FNMI student, you're already a voting member, regardless of whether you signed up.

DHILLON: What day does ASC meet, just to include that on there?

BLANCHETTE: We do not have our fall meetings scheduled. That's something that we can tell the group to come up with, so we can put it on the infographic. Also, we can put the social media for ASC, so we can direct students to follow the Facebook for events, meetings, programming, stuff like that. I should ask the ASC execs and we can come up with a date.

DHILLON: Yeah, I think that would be really good just to have on there, so they can keep getting shared. But I think the social media for both the SU and ASC would be super great. That brings up the question then: I don't know if all of you guys are registered in all of your courses, but does this time still work for most of you during the fall semester?

KRAHN: I think it should, yeah.

DHILLON: I'll put it on the WhatsApp chat today too just to make sure, and if we want to reschedule, we can do that before we submit this to whoever is doing the marketing for it, just so that that's on there as well. I assume everything is still going to be on Zoom, so it's not too bad, but yeah, they have to register beforehand. Is there anything else people would like to see from this, or anything that people would find confusing if they didn't know about ARRC?

EINARSON: One thing I think we could do is over the next two weeks, brainstorm things we'd like to see or think would be interesting to include in this, and come back so that everyone has a solid plan of what really should be included. Because once we combine, we'll see overlap, but also things that we may not have thought of.

DHILLON: I totally agree. I guess this is good just to have that initial discussion, but the more and more we talk about the different things, I guess they bring up different ideas, so we don't need to decide on everything right now, because we're not making another deadline until September, so we have time to brainstorm. We also don't have Vaughn or Katie here too, so getting their input would be really interesting as well.

BLANCHETTE: Could we maybe put down what we said today into a Google Doc and then we can just contribute to it whenever and talk about it and maybe refine it more next time we meet?

DHILLON: Yeah, I can make a shared drive today, and include these meeting minutes, and we can put all of our information onto that drive, if that works for everyone.

BLANCHETTE: Fantastic.

DHILLON: The biggest thing from the ARRC perspective is really highlighting what they're working in regards to SU and reconciliation and whatnot, and that largely comes into place on that one website link where it has updates on what they're doing, so including that link underneath ARRC would be a good resource. Does ASC have a separate website, or is it just their Facebook page?

BLANCHETTE: We do have a website, it's kind of outdated, so we want to make it a little bit better. I don't know if it's worth putting. For sure our Facebook, or the email, because if someone emails us we can put them on the mailing list.

DHILLON: Do you think it would also be beneficial if we email this out to the different bodies we're talking to about SAL [student-at-large] positions and get their feedback on what they would like to see included? Like the First Peoples' House.

BLANCHETTE: That would make sense. Also, related to that, do you happen to know if we got any applications for the positions?

DHILLON: No, not at the moment. David said he'll send me any updates once they start getting applications. But I think largely we're running into August, so there's been a bit of a step back in pushing it right now, just because September will be a huge push with all the students coming back in. We'll have the welcome workshops available, and then also making sure that we send it to all profs in related courses will be the biggest driving force, if that makes sense.

BLANCHETTE: Yeah, we just got a surge in ASC follows after that post, but no actual applications, unfortunately.

DHILLON: I also didn't get a response from the First Peoples' House. I don't know if they're checking their emails right now.

BLANCHETTE: They shared it on Facebook, they shared our post, I just gave them a heads-up. I also asked them if they would be willing to put it on their mailing list, and they didn't respond to that part of the email, so I don't know if it's because they aren't willing to, but I can check in with them closer to the start, like the first week. That also has to do with Orientation. It would be great if ASC has some kind of orientation thing where we can also promote it, but I truly don't know what's going on, I haven't heard from people.

DHILLON: Yeah, that's fair. Having some representation by ASC would be really cool.

BLANCHETTE: If you're talking about Clubs Fair, ASC won't be having its own separate table.

DHILLON: For the welcome workshop, I know it's just primarily ARRC. We can have a representative from the SU and then also an ASC representative on ARRC to both give their presentation, which would give a good overlap. That's more so an orientation thing. So I guess the biggest thing, then, is brainstorming ideas for the infographic so that we can get it done and ready for September. I'll have that shared drive ready this weekend, and we can just continuously update that. But I will send another email to the First Peoples' House in regards to what they think should be on there. I'll keep you guys updated on how that goes, and I'll put all this information on the WhatsApp chat too.

2020-04/3

ADJOURNMENT

DHILLON: Adjourned the meeting at 3:31pm.